Last Updated: 02/26/2020
FMCSA Clearinghouse / CDL drivers
Which drivers are covered by the FMCSA Clearinghouse?
Any driver who holds a CDL (CDL driver) and meets the requirements of the CDL standards (49 CFR Part 383), and the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Testing Program (Part 382). References to CDL drivers also include CLP drivers.
If you are covered by the FMCSA Clearinghouse regulations - click here to register with the FMCSA Clearinghouse
Drivers may need to complete the following actions in the Clearinghouse:
- Register as a user - drivers only need to register for the Clearinghouse to complete the actions below.
- Respond to a consent request for a full query from a current/potential employer, including all pre-employment queries
- Failure to provide consent to such a request will result in the driver being prohibited from performing safety-sensitive functions (including operating a CMV) for that employer, in accordance with 49 CFR 382.703(c).
- Review his or her Clearinghouse record
- Designate a substance abuse professional (SAP) in the Clearinghouse
The FMCSA Clearinghouse will keep driver information secure
- Only select registered users can access the Clearinghouse for designated purposes
- Other enforcement agencies, such as State Driver’s Licensing Agencies and State law enforcement agencies, only receive a driver’s eligibility status
- Drivers can access their own information, free of charge, but not information of other drivers
- The Clearinghouse meets all relevant Federal security standards and FMCSA will verify the effectiveness of security protections regularly